Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Thing #17

ELM Productivity Tools
1. Create a search alert
I did not manage to add a search alert to my Google Reader RSS thing. Apparently, I'm not the first person to have a problem with this. I can create a search alert and set it up for e-mail. I can also direct a patron to the very nice "help" page on EBSCO for creating and saving search alerts.
2. EBSCO Page Composer
Did it. Why? Why not just e-mail the results to myself? Would be much easier.
3. ProQuest
Did it -- except for the part about downloading it to my flash drive. I don't have a flash drive yet. Isn't the flash drive supposed to be the END product of all this work? Am getting a little testy about the way these 23 things are set up...
4. NetLibrary
Did the creating a note on eContent thing. I'm already pretty familiar with NetLibrary on the downloadable audio side. Biggest problem I ran into was that I couldn't remember my login.

I really did not enjoy Thing #17, but practicing with some of these tools will help when working with patrons who want to save search results.

No comments: